General Frequently Asked Questions in New York

Were you recently involved in a car accident? At Hecht Kleeger & Damashek, P.C., we understand that this time in your life can be incredibly frustrating and confusing and our firm is here to help you. In this section, we encourage you to look over some of the most commonly asked questions regarding car accidents and receiving compensation. If you do not find what you are looking for, please contact our firm .

Answers from a New York City Car Accident Injury Lawyer

What are causes for car accidents?

There are numerous reasons that someone may be involved in a car accident. Some of the most common causes involve negligence, distracted driving, speed and intoxication.

I have been hit, can I receive compensation?

You may be eligible to receive compensation from the other driver’s insurance company if they are found partially or entirely at-fault. If the insurance company denies coverage or they are an uninsured motorist, it is important that you contact an attorney.

What facts do I need to gather after an accident?

A few things that you can do to help your case following an accident:

  • Collect the driver’s insurance information and name
  • Take pictures of the damage done to both vehicles
  • Record all driver’s license numbers and license plate numbers of involved cars
  • Take witness statements and gather the names of witnesses
  • Ask to speak with a police officer and request a police report
  • Take note of the time, location and conditions that the accident occurred under

Who is responsible for the accident?

Even if you feel that you may be to blame for an accident, it is highly recommended that you do not orally say so. In fact, it is probably a good idea to keep your innocence or guilt to yourself until you get a chance to speak with an attorney or an officer.

Should I file a claim with the driver’s insurance company?

It is a good idea to file an insurance claim, however, insurance adjusters will try to persuade you into providing incriminating evidence and may offer a very low compensation. You should speak to an attorney immediately following an accident.

Do I need to contact an attorney?

Yes. It is highly recommended that you work with an attorney following an accident. An attorney can help you gather all necessary evidence that may improve you case and claim. You deserve the highest level of compensation and our attorney can help fight for it. Call Hecht Kleeger & Damashek, P.C., as soon as possible.

Our NYC Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help

Call Hecht Kleeger & Damashek today to discuss your options. We can help you determine the approximate value of your claim and guide you step-by-step toward a fair settlement or verdict. We are members of the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum®, the American Association for Justice, and the New York State Trial Lawyers Association. With our seasoned representation on your side, you can have confidence in obtaining the best possible results. Contact us today! We hope to hear from you soon to discuss your legal options.