August 17, 2016
How to Avoid Accidents with a School Bus
By Jonathan Damashek
With school about to start, it’s a good time to talk about school bus safety. Last week, we discussed school transportation safety tips parents could teach their kids. This time, we’re highlighting advice for drivers to help prevent accidents with school buses.
Of the school-age pedestrians killed in school transportation accidents from 2003-2012, 30 percent were hit by another vehicle on the road. When traveling near a school bus, you must use extreme caution. Kids are often distracted when getting on and off school vehicles. And they are more likely to be severely hurt than an adult, even in a minor collision.
For all the reasons listed above, and in an effort to help drivers avoid accidents with a school bus, we want to share several safety tips listed by Ensurance.com that will help you remember to drive carefully:
- If you see a school bus in your lane or coming towards you, pay close attention to what it’s doing. Give the bus extra space and be prepared to stop suddenly as children get on and off.
- School buses are required to stop at railroad crossings, so be ready to hit the brakes if you’re behind one.
- School buses travel at slower speeds, so expect to slow down and only pass when the bus driver signals you to go by.
- Pay attention to any stop signs or signals on the bus
- It’s illegal to pass a school bus that’s loading or unloading students. Always stop when the bus is in the process of unloading students on public highways, multilane roads, parking lots, and school property.
- School buses occasionally travel in caravans. If a school bus in front of you has another bus in front of it that’s letting kids on or off, you must stop for that bus as well.
As drivers, it is our responsibility to help school bus drivers do their job and protect the children who are in it. You should also drive carefully around school zones. Do not underestimate the power you have behind the wheel, keep your eyes wide open to avoid accidents.
If you or a loved one suffered an accident related to a school bus contact us as soon as possible for a free consultation.