March 25, 2021
Most Dangerous Intersections in Brooklyn for Car Accidents
By Jonathan Damashek
New York City sees thousands of car accidents every year, many of which happen in Brooklyn. The large volume of motorized, bicycle, and foot traffic contributes to the most dangerous intersections in Brooklyn.
Were you or a loved one involved in a crash in Brooklyn or anywhere in NYC? You could be entitled to compensation.
NYC Crash Statistics
According to New York Police Department crash data, Brooklyn had the most car crashes in the New York metro area in 2020. Many of those occurred at some of the most dangerous intersections in the borough.
According to the NYC Police Department, the top five boroughs for crash percentages included:
- Brooklyn with 35,245 crashes, or 31.7% of all NYC accidents
- Queens with 33,192 total accidents, or 29% of NYC crashes
- The Bronx with 21,519 accidents, or 19.4% of NYC accidents
- Manhattan with 17,179 accidents, or 15.5% of NYC collisions
- Staten Island with 4,648 accidents, or 4.2% of NYC crashes
Overall crashes in NYC were down by more than 46% in 2020 due to less travel during the COVID-19 Pandemic. Despite that, there were still more than 300 wrecks every day in the city.
Top 10 Most Dangerous Intersections in Brooklyn
There are hundreds of intersections in Brooklyn, some of which are more dangerous than others. Due to confusing signage, excessive traffic, and other factors, the following intersections are hazardous for drivers, passengers, cyclists, and pedestrians.
- South Third & Havemeyer Street
- Newkirk Avenue & Argyle Road
- South Fourth & Keap Street
- Sterling Place & Kingston Avenue
- Lawrence & Willoughby Street
- Smith & Wycoff Street
- Hooper & South Fifth Street
- Flatbush & Tillery
- Pennsylvania Avenue & Atlantic Avenue
- Pennsylvania Avenue & Linden Avenue
These rankings are based on monthly collision rates in 2020 and 2021.
Common Causes for Car Accidents in Brooklyn
Many factors contribute to the thousands of car accidents that occur in Brooklyn every year. Of those causes, driver error is by far the most common, such as:
- Failure to Yield Right-of-Way
- Driving While Intoxicated or Impaired
- Improper Passing or Lane Usage
- Distracted Driving
- Driver Inexperience
- Following Too Closely
- Aggressive Driving (Road Rage)
- Passing Too Closely
- Unsafe Lane Changing
One of the biggest problems that lead to crashes is drivers, pedestrians, and cyclists not knowing or disregarding the road rules. New York City roadway laws apply to everyone who uses the roads and sidewalks.
Call a Brooklyn Car Accident Lawyer for Help
If you are involved in a crash in Brooklyn, a car accident law firm near you is ready to help. The law firm of Hecht, Kleeger & Damashek, P.C. serves clients throughout Brooklyn and other boroughs in NYC. We help you navigate the insurance claims process after a wreck.
Call us today at (212) 490-5700 or use our online contact form to schedule a free, no-risk consultation.