June 8, 2021
Most Dangerous Intersections in Queens for Car Accidents
By Jonathan Damashek
Queens typically has more car accidents than any other borough in NYC; however, in 2020, that percentage dropped, and the borough ranked second. However, Queens has thousands of car accidents every year – as many as 100 a day. Many of those accidents occur at the most dangerous intersections in Queens.
If you or a loved one are involved in a wreck in Queens, you could be entitled to financial compensation.
New York City Car Accident Statistics
According to NYC Police Department data, there are thousands of crashes in the city every year. In 2020, there were a total of 110,834 crashes in New York City. This number seems excessive; however, it is 46% lower than the previous year due to the pandemic and lockdown.
The top five boroughs for car accidents in NYC were:
- Brooklyn with 35,245 crashes (31.7%)
- Queens with 33,192 wrecks (29%)
- The Bronx with 21,519 accidents (19.4%)
- Manhattan with 17,179 collisions (15.5%)
- Staten Island with 4,648 wrecks (4.2%)
Although Queens was ranked second in 2020, it had the most crashes in 2018 and 2019.
Top 10 Most Dangerous Intersections in Queens
Many car accidents in Queens happened at some of the most dangerous intersections in the city, which include:
- Baxter Avenue & Broadway
- Hillside Avenue & Hollis Court Boulevard
- 101st Avenue & Woodhaven Boulevard
- 150th Road & Rockaway Boulevard
- Farmers Boulevard & Rockaway Boulevard
- Cypress Avenue & Vermont Place
- 46th Avenue & Utopia Parkway
- 210th Street & 64th Avenue
- Brookville Boulevard & Rockaway Boulevard
- Atlantic Avenue & Van Wyck Expressway
These intersections are dangerous for pedestrians, cyclists, and drivers. Many of them have multiple lanes of traffic, confusing signage and roadway markings, and turn lanes that cause problems for people who do not know the rules of the road.
Common Causes of Accidents in Queens
Driver errors cause most car accidents in Queens. Those are typically preventable. Drivers and others who use the road should know New York City laws and abide by them. However, when drivers fail to use caution and make poor decisions, accidents happen.
Some of the most common causes of accidents in Queens include:
- Failure to yield the right-of-way
- Intoxication or impairment
- Improper passing or lane usage
- Distracted driving
- Driver inexperience
- Tailgating (following too closely)
- Aggressive driving (also called road rage)
- Passing too closely
- Unsafe lane changing
Call a Queens Car Accident Lawyer for Help
The law firm of Hecht, Kleeger & Damashek, P.C. can help you after a crash in Queens and throughout the New York metro area. We are familiar with the insurance claims process. We will take care of all of the legal issues while you focus on recovery.