June 14, 2016
Fourth of July Safety Tips
By Jonathan Damashek
Fourth of July is in three weeks, and for many New Yorkers, this is the perfect time to get out of the city with family and friends. We all love to celebrate this iconic American holiday, but what many ignore is that this is one of the deadliest holidays of the year due to drunk-driving crashes. On the fourth of July of 2014, 164 people died as a result of drunk driving.
Unfortunately, today, many Americans drive under the influence of alcohol, especially during festivities. As it is very common to encounter these type of irresponsible drivers in parties and gatherings, we want to share with you tips drafted by the MADD (Mothers Against Drunk Drivers) Association on how to prevent them from driving drunk. This association works hard to stop this reckless and senseless behavior to avoid accidents.
If during a reunion you are faced with a situation where someone who’s impaired is trying to drive, use the following tips to stop them:
- Be as non-confrontational as possible.
- Suggest alternate ways of getting to their destination: a cab, a sober driver, and public transportation.
- Remember that the person you are talking to is impaired: talk a bit more slowly and explain things more fully than if you were speaking to a sober person.
- Explain that you don’t want them to drive because you care and you don’t want them to hurt themselves or others.
- Suggest that they sleep over.
- Enlist a friend to help you or to act as moral support: it’s more difficult to say “no” to two (or three or four) people than one.
- If possible, get the person’s keys. It is far easier to persuade the potential driver when you hold this leverage.
If all else fails, call law enforcement. It’s better to have a friend arrested than injured or killed.
Remember, you can only control what you do behind your wheels and not what other drivers do, although there may be some tips that help avoid an an accident with a drunk driver.
If you or a loved one has been injured in an accident due to the irresponsible actions of a drunk driver, contact us for immediate help. We will fight aggressively for your legal rights and the compensation you and your family deserve.