June 21, 2016
Construction Work During Summer
By Jonathan Damashek
We all know that construction is not an easy job. The powerful tools, the heavy materials, and the heights where many employees work on are some of the hazards construction workers face every day.
In New York, apart from the risks that we previously listed, construction workers also face the dangers of the weather. Although many people believe that winter is the worst season of the year to do this kind of job, summer in the city also has its hazards and there are many safety measures that must be taken into consideration to avoid accidents.
Summer is beginning next week, so in an effort to help all construction workers in New York stay safe, we want to share some safety tips that will help them stay protected from the high temperatures during this season.
1) Stay hydrated: Even if you are not thirsty drink water. This will help prevent sunstrokes and will help regulate your body temperature. Avoid juices, energy and soft drinks, as they do not quench the thirst because of their sugar content.
2) Protect yourself from the sun: Cover your head with a hat and use sun protection on any exposed skin, especially around your neck.
3) If possible, avoid working outdoors during the hours where the sun is strongest (11am through 2pm). If this is impossible, always take your breaks in the shade.
4) Eat and sleep well: although this is important all year, during the summer is crucial that you eat healthy (avoid greasy food) and get the sleep you need as the high temperatures demand even more energy.
5) Be alert for signs of heat stress: Stop and take a break if you are feeling nauseous, with cramps, or fatigued. If you or someone working close to you suffers a heat stroke, call 911 immediately.
We hope these safety tips will help construction workers in New York have a peaceful summer. While we cannot control the weather, we can control the effect it can have on our bodies.
If you or a loved one suffered an accident in the workplace, contact us immediately. Our construction accident attorneys are here to protect your rights and fight for the compensation you and your family deserve.