August 12, 2021
Most Dangerous Intersections in the Bronx for Car Accidents
By Jonathan Damashek
Thousands of motor vehicle accidents occur in New York City every year. Many of these crashes cause injury or death. The Bronx has many dangerous intersections that contribute to those numbers. We’ve provided a list below of the ten most dangerous intersections in the Bronx for car accidents.
Top 10 Intersections in the Bronx with the Most Crashes
There are hundreds of intersections in the Bronx. However, some of them are notable for the number of crashes over the past two years.
The top 10 dangerous intersections in the Bronx are:
- Major Deegan Expressway and West Fordham Road
- Bruckner Boulevard and Tiffany Street
- Bruckner Boulevard and East 144th Street
- 3rd Avenue and East 163rd Street
- Cross Bronx Expressway and White Plains Road
- Bellamy Loop and Coop City Boulevard
- Bronx Boulevard and East 233rd Street
- Mosholu Parkway and Southern Boulevard
- East 168th Street and College Avenue
- Field Place and Creston Avenue
What Makes These Bronx Intersections Dangerous?
Five to ten crashes happen each month at these intersections because of several factors:
- High traffic volume
- Unclear signage, traffic lights, and roadway markings
- Rush hour is particularly risky as drivers are in a hurry to get to and from work
Bronx Car Accident Statistics
Each month, more than 1,700 motor vehicle collisions occur in the Bronx. That means approximately 20,400 crashes happen within the borough every year.
Causes of Crashes in the Bronx
By far, the most common cause of car accidents in the Bronx is distracted driving. Driver inattention and distraction cause more than 20% of the crashes in the area. Following too closely and speeding contribute to about 7% of all crashes.
Other contributing factors include:
- Failure to yield the right-of-way
- Unsafe backing up
- Inexperienced drivers
- Drowsy driving or falling asleep at the wheel
- Improper lane usage or passing
- Disregarding traffic controls
- Unsafe lane changes
Contact a Bronx Car Accident Lawyer for Help
It’s essential to work with a personal injury attorney who knows the area where your accident occurred. The Bronx car accident lawyers at Hecht, Kleeger & Damashek, P.C., work with clients throughout New York City. We know what causes accidents, and we know how to prove who is at fault.