Carbon Monoxide Safety Tips

carbon monoxideCarbon monoxide is known as the “invisible killer,” because it’s a colorless and odorless gas created when fuels like gasoline, wood, natural gas, or oil, burn incompletely. A carbon monoxide leak can be extremely dangerous and sometimes fatal. At home, the most common sources of carbon monoxide are heaters and cooking equipment like stoves.

Although accidents involving carbon monoxide tend to increase in winter because more heaters are in use, they also occur during the rest of the year. And to help you prevent this type of accident, below we share several safety tips listed by New York’s Fire Department. Read carefully:

  • Have the right type of alarm. The risk of dying in a carbon monoxide leak is cut in half when there are smoke/carbon alarms correctly installed in your home. These alarms must be approved by Underwriters Laboratories and have an audible end-of-life warning.
  • Alarms should be installed on the ceiling where you sleep and on every level of your home. If possible, install interconnected alarms so that when one alarm sounds, they all sound.
  • Test your alarms regularly, replace their batteries when needed, and substitute them every 10 years.
  • If the alarm sounds, you and your family should get out immediately and then call 911. The amount of time you take can make the difference between life and death. Having an escape plan will make things easier.
  • During and after a snowstorm, make sure vents for the stove and fireplace are clear of snow.
  • Generators should only be used outdoors, in a well-ventilated location away from windows, doors and vent openings.
  • Never use gas or charcoal grills in an interior as they can produce CO.

If you or a family member is injured in an accident related to carbon monoxide, contact us today for a free consultation. We will analyze your case and explain you your legal rights.

0 Comments