October 5, 2020

Why You Need a Personal Injury Attorney With Trial Experience

By Jonathan Damashek

Posted in

Go to the main Personal Injury page

Although most personal injury cases end in settlement, you need an attorney with trial experience so they can guide you through the lawsuit process, and, if necessary, take your case to trial. The legal team at Hecht, Kleeger & Damashek prepares every case as if it were going to trial. They make sure they are prepared and prove to the insurance company that they won’t back down.

Call us for a free case consultation today at (212) 490-5700 or use our online contact form. We will sit down with you and determine the value of your case. Then, we will get you the maximum compensation possible.

You Might File a Personal Injury Lawsuit, Even If You Seek a Settlement

According to the U.S. Department of Justice, as many as 95% of personal injury cases end in settlement and never go to trial. However, the insurance company will not take you seriously until you do prove that you’re not afraid to go to court.

The insurance company wants the easy way out. They will try to make you a low-ball offer to get rid of the claim. However, it will not likely cover all of your losses. You should never take the insurance company’s initial offer.

Instead, you should file a lawsuit against the negligent party and their insurance company and hold them financially liable for all of your past and future damages. By filing a lawsuit, the insurance company will know you are willing to fight to get what you deserve.

Many times, when you file a personal injury lawsuit, the insurance company becomes more willing to negotiate because they don’t want the expense of the legal process and going to trial.

You Need an Attorney Who Can File The Right Documents

A trial attorney knows how to create legal documents that contain the necessary language and proof that the judge and court will be looking for. If you fail to include the right elements in a complaint, your entire case could be dismissed for lack of proof of negligence.

Your attorney will have to be familiar with pre-trial motions that are commonly used in a personal injury case. You may need to get a deadline extension, force the other party to answer questions, or seek to exclude certain evidence or experts. These motions can make or break your case.

You Will Have to Engage in Discovery

Discovery is the process of obtaining information from the defendant that they have about the accident. You can ask them questions, or interrogatories, and demand the production of documents. This process can be time consuming and expensive.

Your attorney will need to know what types of questions to ask of the defendant and how to obtain the right information to support your claim. They will also have to know how to answer questions from the defendant in a way that does not harm your case. Discovery can be a difficult process, and the insurance companies usually try to avoid giving the plaintiff victim information, if possible.

If You Go to Trial, You Need a Skilled Personal Injury Lawyer

If your case is one of the 5% of personal injury claims that heads to court, then you need to have an attorney you can trust to do their best against the insurance company’s powerful team of lawyers. The insurance company will have highly educated and experienced lawyers who represent them. They pay a lot of money for expensive attorneys. The legal team at Hecht, Kleeger & Damashek, P.C. are just as knowledgeable.

We prepare every case as if it is going to trial. Thus, from the beginning, we will investigate and gather information to support your case. We will work with experts and eye witnesses to develop a winning strategy.

Some attorneys don’t know how to handle a trial, so they associate another attorney if a case has to go to court. HKD handles a case from start to finish.

Hecht, Kleeger & Damashek, P.C. Can Fight For You at Trial

Although we know you want to get the maximum amount of compensation as quickly and easily as possible, we may have to go to trial. If that happens, we are here for you. Call us today at (212) 490-5700 or use our online contact form.