November 3, 2020
What Are My Rights If I Am Injured in an Accident With an Uber or Lyft?
By Jonathan Damashek
It’s common knowledge to many that if you’re injured in a car accident, you have a right to get money from the at-fault driver. However, you may not know about your rights in an Uber or Lyft accident. In fact, you may be able to get more money than is typically available in a regular car accident.
To learn more about Uber and Lyft accidents, contact Hecht, Kleeger & Damashek, P.C. We have represented clients in rideshare accidents throughout New York City and surrounding areas. Call us today at (212) 490-5700 or use our online contact form to reach out.
You Have a Right to Recover Compensation for Your Losses
After an Uber or Lyft accident, you have a right to get money to compensate you for the losses caused by the at-fault driver. You can get money for:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Loss of earning capacity
- Physical pain and suffering
- Mental anguish and emotional distress
- Loss of normal life and reduced quality of life
- Property damage
In addition, if your loved one passed away in a crash, then you can get money to cover funeral and burial costs and other related expenses.
Your right to compensation must be fought for against an insurance company that will try to give you as little as possible. The attorneys at HKD will protect your right to a fair settlement, or we will take the defendant (person at fault) and their insurance company to court, if necessary.
The Uber or Lyft driver is required to carry liability insurance that you can get money from, but Uber and Lyft also have $1 million policies that you can file a claim with. You should be able to cover all of your losses in these types of accidents. If you have more than $1 million in injuries, we will search for additional resources to help you get all that you need.
You Have a Right to File a Lawsuit Against the Uber or Lyft Driver
If your Uber or Lyft driver was negligent, then you can file a lawsuit against them to get money that you deserve. Anyone who is the victim of negligence (or careless behavior) has a right to file a lawsuit and seek compensation.
In a lawsuit, you will have to prove that the other party was negligent, which requires the following:
- You must prove they had a legal duty. This means that there was a law that the driver is required to follow.
- You must show that they breached that duty. This means that you must have evidence that the at-fault driver failed to follow the law through actions or inaction.
- You must prove that you have damages. This requires actual proof that you have lost money or other significant loss, such as medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
- You must show a cause between the driver’s breach of duty and your damages. This means that the driver must have actually caused your injuries due to their actions or inaction.
You may also need to include Uber or Lyft as parties in the lawsuit. It’s important to include all necessary parties in a lawsuit; otherwise, your lawsuit may be dismissed by the court.
Contact Hecht, Kleeger & Damashek to Understand Your Rights After an Accident
Insurance claims against Uber and Lyft can be difficult because they have large teams of powerful lawyers to fight back against giving you what you rightfully deserve. We will work with you to file a claim and help you get the money you need to return to your normal life. Call us today at (212) 490-5700 or use our online contact form today.