In New York, there is a high risk of being involved in a car crash. The number of aggressive drivers is exceptionally high. Traffic conditions are more challenging than in many urban areas, and frustrated drivers can make bad decisions with serious consequences. Innocent people can face serious injuries, or families can struggle with the tragic loss of a loved one. It’s important you contact a car accident lawyer as soon as possible.
Who Is Responsible For Your Injuries?
If another driver was negligent and engaged in driving behavior that put others at an unreasonable risk of injury, that driver can be held liable. If the accident was the result of a defective auto part, the part manufacturer or auto manufacturer can be held liable in a product liability claim. After some accidents, it is not immediately obvious who has liability for the accident.
All injury claims move ahead by establishing that an act of negligence has occurred in some form, and once established, pressing forward with a claim or lawsuit. Every detail of your case should be evaluated by a skilled New York car accident lawyer as soon as possible after the collision.
Causes of Car Accidents in New York City
The top ten contributing factors in accidents were ranked as follows:
||NUMBER OF VEHICLES INVOLVED
||FOLLOWING TOO CLOSELY
||UNSAFE LANE CHANGING
||FAILURE TO YIELD RIGHT OF WAY
||IMPROPER PASSING OR LANE USAGE
||PASSING TOO CLOSELY
What to do After an Automobile Wreck
Follow these important steps to protect your right to compensation if you are involved in a traffic accident caused by another driver in New York or the surrounding boroughs:
- Stop your vehicle. Never leave the scene – it is illegal and can lead to felony charges.
- Evaluate the condition of the passengers in your vehicle.
- If there are any serious injuries, contact emergency services immediately so that the injured can be transported to the hospital.
- Evaluate the condition of the people in the other vehicle(s).
- If there have been no serious injuries, pull the vehicles to a nearby location to reduce the risk of a secondary impact.
- Call the police to make an accident report.
- Get the phone number, address and insurance information of the other driver(s).
- Do not admit fault or make any statement regarding your condition. Do not try to reassure the other driver that you are uninjured. Some injuries are not immediately apparent, and your statement may be used by the other driver’s insurance company against you.
- Collect the phone numbers, addresses and other contact data from any eyewitnesses.
- Report the accident to your insurance company.
- Take extensive photos with your phone of your vehicle, the other vehicle and any skid marks or other information that could be valuable later.
- Visit the doctor promptly and get a medical assessment. Some life-threatening injuries are not immediately evident, particularly closed-head injuries. Soft tissue damage may become evident only the next day.
When You See Your Doctor: Medical Information
You may initially believe you are fine, and there is no need for medical treatment, but you must get a complete evaluation of your condition. Whiplash or a brain injury may show symptoms later.
In some cases, a brain injury
that involves bleeding will not be apparent, but could result in death within hours. It is important that you are fully assessed, no matter how you feel immediately after the crash.
- Tell your doctor about any pain you are experiencing, even if it feels only minor.
- Take photos of your injuries so that there is evidence that you were injured.
- Keep all medical bills for treatment in one safe place that is easy to access.
- Get all recommended tests, including MRI, X-ray or others your doctor recommends.
- Get a full diagnosis of the degree of the injuries and what can be expected with regard to recovery.
- Get a treatment plan from your medical doctor.
Types of Cases
There are many types of accidents, including accidents caused by speeding, by aggressive driving, by drunk driving, by reckless driving and by distracted driving. The drivers at fault in these accidents can and should be held accountable. Depending upon what occurred, your car accident lawyer can take the correct steps to protect your right to compensation.
Auto Product Liability
Some automobile accidents are the result of the failure of an auto part or system
, such as tires, brakes, accelerator, airbag, ignition switch or other part. Auto product liability cases
are complex cases that require extensive investigation and development of evidence by experts. These cases allow for compensation to be pursued from the manufacturer, parts manufacturer or other entity, based upon the facts.
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Claims
If an uninsured driver or an underinsured driver causes an accident, there is a possibility that your insurance company should cover your expenses. But some insurance companies will deny coverage or try to avoid paying the full amount of compensation. If you are being denied coverage or your insurance company is disputing your claim, talk to an uninsured motorist attorney
as soon as possible. You don’t need to have your premiums raised because another driver caused an accident. These cases may be contested, and the evidence you have obtained can be critical in getting the claim resolved fairly, and within a reasonable period of time.
Some cases cannot be resolved out of court. The negligent driver’s insurance company may choose to dispute your claim, or offer a settlement that is unreasonably low. These cases may require taking the issue to civil court to have a jury decide.
In many cases, once a lawsuit is filed, the insurance company lawyers may decide that a fair settlement is the best solution, and settle prior to trial, or once the trial has begun.
Contact Hecht, Kleeger and Damashek for experienced legal representation that you can trust to do everything possible to help you pursue a fair level of compensation. We have recovered millions in damages for our clients, and our firm offers legal services on a contingency fee basis.
Connect with us for personal, dedicated service from a law firm with years in practice, and an extensive record of successful claims and verdicts. Call now.