Premises Liability
VERDICTS/SETTLEMENTS

$8,000,000 - Child Burned by scalding water in the shower - Premises Liability

The infant plaintiff was almost 3 years old when he was burned by scalding water in the shower of his apartment. Hecht Kleeger & Damashek, P.C., discovered that a plumbing company hired by the owner of the building incorrectly installed a mixing valve in the boiler room of the building. As a result of this negligence, the hot water was not being properly regulated and was erratic in temperature causing the child burns.

While the infant plaintiff was in the shower, the water suddenly changed from room temperature to scalding hot. The child received 2nd and 3rd degree burns from the scalding hot water on his back which required a skin graft and resulted in permanent scarring. Hecht Kleeger & Damashek, P.C., partner, Jonathan Damashek reached a settlement valued at $8,000,000.00 with the defendants who included the owner of the building, the plumbing company and manufacturer of the mixing valve.